Sunday, January 02, 2005

Where I've Been and What I've Been Doing

I think I've finally learned how to vacate properly.

I spent the first part of the week in Massachusetts, celebrating Christmas with my family. It was fun and peaceful. Everyone in my family was pretty worn out from our various lives--perhaps a good thing as far as getting along was concerned. My uncle, two aunts, and grandmother came out for Christmas dinner.

I came back on Monday with my brother. We tried to go to the recently renovated Museum of Modern Art, but unfortunately it was closed on Tuesday. New York being a city of millions, there were about a dozen other people peering at the hours posted on the door, dismayed. So, we decided to go to the Whitney, but we passed Takashimaya department store first, one of my favorite places in New York City, so we stopped there. I've only bought something from Takashimaya once, but I love the place. You see, it's not like other department stores. Instead of perfume and handbags, the entrance opens into the florist shop, which smells heavenly and is serene, filled with little garden sculptures, absurdly expensive shears, trowels, and terracotta, and beautiful arrangements of flowers. On the floor below is a Japanese tea shop, where you can sit for a cup of tea or buy one of the dozens of exotic teas contained in baskets along the back wall. The floors above are filled with housewares, clothing, soaps, lotions, the usual. It's all too expensive for me, but it's the idea that a department store could be a peaceful and reflective place that draws me in.

When we left Takashimaya, I lost the Whitney. Yes, lost it. I've only lived here for five years, but when we got to 72nd and 5th, we found the Frick, not the Whitney (which, it turns out, is just a few blocks away on Madison... sigh). In the end, we headed to the Metropolitan and saw an exhibit on ancient Chinaa which was pretty interesting... it's fascinating to see bits of textiles preserved from 1500 years ago, and to realize that it was all handwoven. Leaving the museum, we made another New York City discovery: it's beautiful to walk down the main stairs of the Metropolitan Museum at closing time on a winter evening with a light snow falling in Central Park. You look down on hundreds of people moving slowly towards the doors. You look out through the windows at the snow and streetlights. And you see all the details in the design of the museum itself. I wish I'd had a camera, but then again, sometimes it's best just to see and remember.

We walked home through the park, through the snow.

The next day I put my brother on a train (or, really, pushed him out the door towards a cab to the train...), and then went to the Natural History Museum to see the Frogs exhibit. The exhibit closes this week, but it's absolutely worth seeing. They have dozens of live frogs - including lots of the bright blue poison dart frogs and the even more lethal golden frogs - and very helpful and engaging explanations of the anatomy, behavior, and environmental signficance of frogs. I really wanted to take my students to see this exhibit, but can't due partly to my own poor planning and partly because of the state testing schedule. I encouraged them to go and even told them they could meet me at the museum on Wednesday, but no one took me up on the offer (even though it was actually a student's idea!).

Most of the rest of the week I spent sleeping late, watching movies, and just... vacating.

Friday, V. called to tell me about his engagement. I feel like I'm watching a train wreck that is none of my business but involves people I care about and may, in some indirect way, have been caused partly by my actions. And that's all I can say about that here. So, I mopped the floors in my apartment and then went shopping with some money I got at Christmas - in the naive believe shared by so many of us that it would make me feel better - and then went out with really good people to dance madly to gypsy music. (All the other New Year's stories happened other years... I've had some fun ones, but overall New Year's is not my best holiday).

Yesterday I did nothing.

And today I planned the week's lessons. The kids are going to learn about how different body shapes, mouth shapes, types of fins, etc. help fish fit into different environments... and then they are going to design their own fish! I only started panicking - that wonderful last-day-of-vacation-ohmigod-I-have-to-go-to-work-tomorrow panic - a couple of hours ago. I need to plan a couple of health lessons and then go to bed. I've wised up some and no longer expect that I will plan the rest of the year every time a vacation rolls around. A week of good lesson plans seems perfectly reasonable, especially if I've soaked up the free time, caught up on sleep, read a good book or two, and spent time with family and friends. And I have.

And by the way - so many, many thanks to the readers who responded to my letter to Santa.

37 Comments:

Blogger decor resources said...

Looking for anatomy clavicle grays reference yahoo info for my thesis I came across your post. It is interesting!!

8:50 PM  
Blogger DigitalCamera said...

Hey there, you've got a great blog here! I'm thinking of bookmarking your site!

I have a Perfumes site. It pretty much covers Perfumes

related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

4:58 AM  
Blogger bill naka said...

You have a great blog here! I will be sure to book mark you. I have a book bag site. It pretty much covers book bag related stuff. Check it out if you get time :-)

6:39 AM  
Blogger Tom Naka said...

Hi i am totally blown away with the blogs people have created its so much fun to read alot of good info and you have also one of the best blogs !! Have some time check my link of california health spa
.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Basket said...

Vous avez un blog très agréable et je l'aime, je vais placer un lien de retour à lui dans un de mon blogs qui égale votre contenu. Il peut prendre quelques jours mais je ferai besure pour poster un nouveau commentaire avec le lien arrière.

Merci pour est un bon blogger.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Thanks for you visit said...

Greetings,

I Really think you have a great blog here, and see you have a very high page ranking, I found this info out from this page. http://pr.blogflux.com/ Try it out.



I have several pages of my own,

I'ts about femme Clothing. This site is in French language.
My second site is about Chaussures that is Shoes in french and bottes that is boots in french.

My Third site is about Chocolate that is made in France. The Frech language just drops to e at the end so it is chocolat

7:15 PM  
Blogger Couch Potato said...

Help me Dude, I'm lost.

I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw Elvis in the supermarket yesterday.

No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender".

He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a shiny, new plasmatv to go with that blue suede sofa of yours.

But Elvis said I, In the Ghetto nobody has a plasma tv .

Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger then I'm gonna go home and ask Michael Jackson to come round and watch that waaaay cool surfing scene in Apocalypse Now on my new plasma tv .

And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . .

"You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on "

Strange day or what? :-)

1:21 AM  
Blogger Askinstoo said...

Nice Blog!!!   I thought I'd tell you about a site that will let give you places where
you can make extra cash! I made over $800 last month. Not bad for not doing much. Just put in your
zip code and up will pop up a list of places that are available. I live in a small area and found quite
a few. MAKE MONEY NOW

6:05 AM  
Blogger Just Surfing said...

Found you by accident - just surfing blogs - thanks for a good time! With luck you'll find my blog Learn a 2nd Language or my website about language schools useful, too. I'd be happy to see you.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Dominicans resources said...

FREE Wordpress Hosted Blogs With 10 Customised Templates To Choose From at Blogsilla.com

people background search

Free unlimited number of blogs

2:48 AM  
Blogger Pat Martin said...

I commend your post on this one of a kind blog.

I hope you find my site useful containing christmas shopping information and content.

4:48 AM  
Blogger Barney said...

Very cool blog you got! I just added you to my bookmarks!

I have a great article resource you might want to check out.

6:48 AM  
Blogger Gift Ideas Guide said...

this is a very interesting post.

Get your gift ideas at our bridal shower gift idea site and you will save tons of time and money.

10:04 AM  
Blogger answer-man said...

At **clothes shopping**

12:11 PM  
Blogger Swingin80 said...

Cool blog you have. I have a cash money related site. Check it out if you get a chance. The URL is cash money

1:25 AM  
Blogger answer-man said...

Hi, enjoyed your blog/site related to **Christmas** I'm going to add your

7:08 PM  
Blogger Johnjon said...

Yo, This blog is pretty neat. You should check out mine sometime. It pretty much covers email marketing campaign related stuff.

1:18 AM  
Blogger Shoppingonline said...

I'm new to blogging and I like you're one

I have a perfume secret victoria great gift website. It offers loads of perfume secret victoria, become a lord, pamper gifts, personalised gifts, all types of gadgets, gifts fo him and gifts for her

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

1:41 PM  
Blogger Gift Ideas Guide said...

I commend your post on this one of a kind blog.

I hope you find my site useful containing costume shop information and content.

7:08 PM  
Blogger answer-man said...

site is www.christmas-mall-online.com

7:45 PM  
Blogger allfreei said...

It always helps to check several places. Like this one newtons law

12:33 AM  
Blogger shopping-mall said...

Hey, great blog! Keep it up.

I have a bath body imagine love perfume works site. It pretty much covers bath body imagine love perfume worksrelated stuff.

Come and have a look if you get time :-)

12:41 PM  
Blogger hassan said...

Hi :)

You have a great blog! I'll make sure to bookmark it and visit regularly. Keep up the great work!

Please visit my site if you get some time: Resell Rights eBooks

10:48 PM  
Blogger Technical Nuke said...

Wonderful thank you which was consulted very much

But in blog of my site, when that has been written about information business should drop in freely.

business broker

1:33 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a make money from online business site. It pretty much covers make money from online business related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

1:48 AM  
Blogger Turnkey Builder said...

Market oi millions with blogblastermarketing strategymarketing strategy
Please go to http://ww.blog-masters.net

7:02 PM  
Blogger Shoppingonline said...

Hi! I just came across your blog about **keyword** and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information posted here. I also have a web site about **keyword** site so I know I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the nice job, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!"

11:48 PM  
Blogger Baller said...

Free Online Greeting Card Maker

3:33 AM  
Blogger chakajo said...

I think your blog aboutmaui vacation is the bomb!! Feel free to check mine out!!maui vacation it's also about maui vacation

8:57 PM  
Blogger Natwho said...

name brand wholesaler

For 23 years we have been the number one business opportunity for individuals wanting to gain financial freedom and realize the American dream of owning their own business.

NWC, Inc can get you started in a name brand electronics business of your own, without the usual large upfront investment associated with starting a business. We supply everything you need including full color catalogs that can be customized with your name and address, a fully stocked Ecommerce powered web site, 61,000 name brand products that can be drop shipped right to your customers door, large unsecured credit lines to help finance your customers, and much more.

Check out all the exciting details at www.profitbig.com today.

11:36 PM  
Blogger hassan said...

Hi :)

You have a great blog! Keep up the great work, and I'll be sure to visit regularly.

I have a Resell Rights eBooks related site, check it out if you get some time!

Look forward to reading more of your insightful posts :)

2:00 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a mailing list company site/blog. It pretty much covers mailing list company related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

3:42 AM  
Blogger Google Page Rank 6 said...

Want more clicks to your Adsense Ads on your Blog?

Then you have to check out my blog. I have found a FREE and Legitimate way that will increase your earnings.

Come Check us out. How to Boost Your AdSense Revenue

9:21 PM  
Blogger stuffynose2 said...

home vacation
home vacationvacations

2:18 AM  
Blogger eLearning at Resource Bridge said...

**eLearning**

9:44 AM  
Blogger Older hunter said...

Hi, I was just surfing around and found your corporate gift idea page!
Very cool,I like finding all this interesting stuff.
If you are interested, go see my corporate gift idearelated site which everything is in huge discount.You might find something of interest.

10:22 AM  
Anonymous News Electronics Lover said...

Hi Dude,

I don't go to electronics online stores to get reviews on consumer electronics appliance i think they are not that fair, i visit blogs like yours to get customers reviews. I like it better. I think it is less deformated
Also i go to consumer electronics appliance ..good mine of fresh electronics products info.

ciao,
alaine

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home