Saturday, February 05, 2005

Observations

For some reason, I keep wanting to title one of these long posts about random stuff, "Notes, Footnotes, and Queries." I'm not sure why. I think it's the name of a section in the New Yorker or the Times or something. But I don't usually have any footnotes or queries, just notes, so it wouldn't be appropriate, really.

*****

Then again, the note above might have made a better footnote.

*****

It's amazing how much you can miss someone even when you know he's only out of town for 5 days, and not out of cell phone range at all. Speaking of which, I used over one thousand night-and-weekend minutes last month... good grief. It's amazing how much you can miss someone even when you are, on some level, trying really hard not to get that way.

*****

It's getting light earlier and dark later. This does wonders for my mood.

*****

Two days of yoga in a row. Muscles are sore that I didn't even know I had! Yoga is good for me in about a million ways, but one unexpected benefit is that, for the first time in my life, I think I could have arm strength without putting myself through lots of strength-training hell. I've always felt that if I really wanted strong arms, I could have them, but the number of unpleasant exercises I'd have to do would simply not be worth it... now, I just take another vinyasa and lower myself slowly from plank pose... I'm getting stronger, a little at a time, and I don't have to make any special effort since I'd do yoga anyway.

And speaking of arm strength, since I have never been good at push-ups, I didn't want to force my gym students to do something I couldn't do. So instead of a mandated number of push-ups, I give them a certain amount of time and ask them to do as many good push-ups as they can, with a partner spotting them for good form. And I do push-ups, too, and use myself as an example of how even if you're not great at something, you can get better if you want to. I've built up to 8 push-ups! (I could do 10 in December, but when I was sick, I lost some strength).

*****

The Education Wonks have started a Carnival of Education. If you write a post you particularly like, you're encouraged to submit it, and the Carnival will publish a list of good posts, with editorial comments, every week.

I hope this encourages thoughtful responses to interesting posts. I rather like the fact that although most of us here in the world of education blogs read each other's posts, we don't spend too much time rehashing what everyone else is saying, or worrying about who is linking to whom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home