Monday, October 03, 2005

Whee!

The end of the one-day-week. Weekend before, Rosh Hashanah following. Made it through the day without throwing any children or laptops out the window. Not that I do that on a regular basis, but you know. Printed out a full inch-and-a-half of PowerPoint lab reports before leaving school this afternoon. Also found out a rather fascinating story of semi-fraud perpetuated by our payroll secretary, who may soon be our former payroll secretary (said fraud involves keeping your no-longer employed friends on the payroll while removing others, while pretending you don't know how to add our parent coordinator to payroll, despite your apparent skill with all other elements of the system...). And this is one of the outspoken fundamentalist Christians on our staff. People like her make cynics of people like me. And I won't even touch the quite-real racial dynamic to the whole scene.

But we might be on our way to a contract. Good, bad, I don't know, I'm just happy to see that steps are finally being taken.

And I went to happy hour & dinner with a friend from a private school in Brooklyn, and his colleagues, and a friend of his who teaches at another small public school in the city, and it was so terrific. And it was Monday night!!!

And now I get two days off - mind you, I will spend much of that time planning & grading - and then a two-day week, and then a 3-day-weekend, and another two-day-week, and another Jewish holiday off, and then another 1-day-week, and it is all completely absurd and totally disruptive of student learning, but I got over complaining on Saturday and am just going to enjoy it...

(Don't get me wrong, I think celebrating these holidays is important... but you have to admit that it makes for a really choppy couple of weeks, just like the Christian holidays sometimes do in December and the federal holidays often do in February. If you've read my blog for any length of time, you know that I never finish teaching everything I want to teach and am completely selfish about teaching time not being disrupted).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home