Sunday, January 29, 2006

Giving the kids articles to read about famous...

African-American scientists and mathematicians. Yes, I know that it's not enough to do this during Black History Month and not the other nine months of the year, but it's a starting point, at least. Question is: after they read the article, what kind of response do I ask for? I'm going to give them a choice of several articles to read, and we'll do at least two this month. It's just a homework assignment, not a full-blown project, so it needs to be a fairly simple response. I was thinking about asking them to summarize the article, then discuss whether or not they would pursue a career in the same field as the scientist or mathematician, or maybe what questions they would like to ask that scientist or mathematician, or something... ideas?

Alternatively, I'm thinking of having them read a couple of articles about the under-representation of women and people of color in the sciences, and maybe also about the ideas the government has for changing this, and asking them to respond... what would they do to encourage kids to get interested in these fields?

1 Comments:

Blogger NYC Educator said...

I think they'd have to encourage people to stop viewing science like I do--which is "yuk."

Nothing personal, Ms. F. Thank God people like you teach science. Otherwise, people like me would have to, and then kids would be in real trouble.

And please don't ever tell my daughter what I said about science. If you do, I'll deny it.

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home