Wednesday, April 05, 2006

A ton of money...

Here are our results:

About 400 pennies have a mass of 1 kilogram, which means that 400,000 pennies have a mass of 1 metric ton.

About 800 jumbo paperclips have a mass of 1 kilogram, which means that 800,000 paperclips have a mass of 1 metric ton.

And a dollar bill has a mass of 1 gram (pretty much perfectly), so a kilogram of dollar bills is $1000, and a ton of money will make you a millionaire.

This was a much harder project for the sixth graders than I was expecting.

(The next question, of course, which I think I'll have to save for a half-day or something, is How much space would you need for all these pennies, paperclips, and dollar bills?).

2 Comments:

Blogger Dan Edwards said...

ok....what about ounces and pounds? :-) There's some more math for your little darlings!

7:05 PM  
Blogger jonathan said...

Great projects! I love reading this stuff. I was, though, a little disheartened that all of those other kids got 7.25. And, what kind of front was it? That snow was wierd. And why does a squid have 10 arms? I didn't know that. Do they really? That one is going to bother me.

(This is what happens when I forget to read your blog for a week)!

Jonathan

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home