Sunday, June 25, 2006

Distressing:

1. I'm sick as a dog. It was over 90 degrees in our classrooms on Friday, so hot that no one believed me when I told them I thought I had a fever. Then I went home, lay down, took my temperature: 102.5. I've had to run around all weekend looking for an apartment. I missed the 8th grade graduation because the trains were all messed up and I was late to my first apartment visit earlier that morning and then was too far away to make it back to the ceremony.

2. Anyway, I think I've found a place: it's too expensive, but it's huge, beautiful, in a pre-war building in Inwood, and, most importantly, they liked my credit and let me leave a deposit to hold the place until I can fax them a hundred more financial documents. The whole process makes me so angry. Why do you need my last three paystubs, my last bank statement, my tax returns, my social security card, my last six rent receipts... I pay my bills! That's what the credit check proved! They are charging a high fee for a "broker" who, as far as I can tell, doesn't exist and has done nothing to rent the apartment (although I have her business card and have to make out a money order to her. The previous tenant posted the ad and showed me the place. He's as pissed as I am. But enough rage, the point is, it's a gorgeous apartment in a pretty and safe neighborhood.

3. My health plan won't cover my typhoid vaccine for India. Luckily, they will cover the malaria vaccine. I'm irritated that I have to pay $75 out of pocket for something that will protect my health while travelling, but that's not the main issue. We have to fill "maintenance" prescriptions through a mail-order service. I didn't think a typhoid vaccine was a maintenance medication, so I took it to my normal pharmacy, way back in May when I got the prescription. Two days later, they told me they couldn't fill it, so I mailed it in. I got two automated messages on my voicemail telling me the mail order pharmacy had received and filled my prescription. But nothing arrived in the mail. I started to get a little anxious, because I have to start taking this at least two weeks before I go (I'm leaving July 5th - we're now well past the two week mark). So, I called customer service to ask about the missing prescription. They told me they would re-order it and mail it overnight mail, but I'd have to pay the co-pay again. Okay. Two days later, guess what arrives? A letter informing me that they couldn't fill it, and my original prescription. Upshot? I can't get the medication until Monday, and as a result, I will be at risk of getting typhoid for the first few days I'm in India. What I fail to understand is why they didn't tell me on the phone - or earlier - that they couldn't fill the prescription. I could have gone to my doctor for another, taken it to a local pharmacy, and filled it myself a week ago!

4. Earlier this week, my exchange partner emailed me, saying I needed to fax her my transcripts immediately, along with copies of my diplomas. I faxed the transcripts the next day but.... I have this weird situation with my master's degree diploma, which you can only understand if you work in NYC. Basically, I got my masters during a two year period when Teachers College, TFA, and the DOE teamed up to pay for teachers to get masters degree in exchange for a longer commitment to teaching in NYC schools. It was a sweet deal; I didn't have to pay very much for my degree. I did my part, and Columbia did theirs, but of course, when it came time to pay the bills, the DOE never came through. So, when I graduated, I couldn't get my diploma. The school acknowledges that I graduated when asked, but no diploma. I went back and stood in line at the registrar's office three or four times in the year and a half after I finished my degree, but each time, the story was the same. The agreement was between TC, TFA, and the DOE, so I couldn't really apply pressure on the DOE directly, as it wasn't an agreement they entered into with me personally. Finally, I gave up, figuring I had the degree, TC would back me up on that, did I really need the piece of paper? Hmmm. Now I do. I'm hoping that when I stop by TC on Monday afternoon, the problem will have resolved itself and they'll be able to give me a diploma. But I have to admit, I'm not confident of this.

5. Monday is our awards ceremony and Tuesday is Field Day, both of which I am really, really involved with planning, only I've been too busy and too sick and waiting on information from other people, and now... I don't know how they're going to happen.

33 Comments:

Blogger annie said...

I ived in Inwood for 5 years. Great neighborhood! Good luck with TC and the typhoid vaccine. Gotta love the bureaucratic nightmare of the UFT and DOE.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

1) I second the Inwood vote. My sister lives right near Inwood Hill Park. You'll love it and so will your exchange partner. Have you figured out the commute from Inwood to the South Bronx?

2) I totally feel your pain on the vaccines. When I went to Ecuador, I needed some shots recommended by the State Dept. No one in NYC would give me the shots, and I found some clinic in Jersey, had to take a bus out there ( I don't drive) and walk a long way to the actual clinic, pay a boatload of money, and wait a long time for a bus back to the city.

3) Can you take legal action against the DOE? Did other people in TFA have the same problem? Hopefully, Columbia will be understanding about your situation. Are you allowed to send an unofficial transcript?

4) Good Luck!!

5:49 PM  
Blogger aphrikandreema said...

Good luck with figuring out vaccines and diplomas. Things like this are a little frustrating, but so worth it:)
I finally accepted a position and forfeited the housing subsidy to work at a great school in UWS- i feel good about my decision though:)

7:49 PM  
Blogger MommyProf said...

About the typhoid, make sure you drink only sealed, bottled things and that food you eat is cooked and steaming hot and you should be ok. The vaccine isn't 100% effective anyway - we got it before an extended trip and my husband got typhoid anyway.

1:02 PM  
Blogger 稻草人博客 said...

Good evening. Working hard, in this busy time for you called. This is my friend and the Boke,just established, the time is not long. The issue here isthat everybody can see my Boke, Ha-ha, raising some visibility, which caused trouble to ask your forgiveness! We all hope to see. Please! 笑傲苍穹博客 晚秋稻草博客 绽放笑容 寂寞无痕博客 思念秋风博客 谷歌和百度的博客 小城故事专栏 流淌的河水 月是故乡明 拥有幸福 爱是什么 笑傲江湖 真爱无敌 幽默坏蛋博客 醉看红尘 诱惑的雨夜 热的发抖 记忆中的故乡 独自去徘徊 都市流浪人 漂泊的船 生命的感悟 秋日的午后 笑看天下 落花无泪

1:46 AM  
Blogger NYCspinguy said...

Hey

I live in Inwood and work in West Harlem.

I teach 6th grade...

11:00 AM  
Blogger mescane said...

penis enlargement pills | penis enlargement products |

2:30 AM  
Blogger breakdown said...

Wow I didn't know New York got that hot. 90%!!!

Mark
ICS

1:24 PM  
Blogger Freudian Slip said...

It stinks you gotta pay out of pocket for the vacine, but trust me, better safe then sorry! You do NOT want to get sick with that.
Matt

1:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool Science

sweet information
hadesppro.com
first class interactive

3:54 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Siberry said...

yeh vacines should be free

Im having to pay for loads these days and im putting them all on my west ham credit card which in turn puts me more out of pocket for paying interest

a good example is i was doing my usual daily thing of going to work when my car breaks down, i pay £50 to get it towed, £50 to get it looked at and then £300 for a new gearbox. then they service it for £20. thats £420 or more than a weeks wage and i aint even got to work yet.

sometimes life just has it in for you

10:28 AM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Vacines should be free, but then if they were there would be no money to figure out new vacines.

I guess you have to accept the fact that you will have to pay to be safe and move on. shame though.

Jonathan (vauxhall part manager).

8:22 AM  
Blogger sexy bikinis said...

When you think things are really bad, turn on the news and you will realise how great things are...

8:00 PM  
Blogger sexy bikinis said...

When you think things are really bad, turn on the news and you will realise how great things are...

sexy bikinis

8:02 PM  
Blogger ly said...

肿瘤 中国肿瘤网 肺癌 胃癌 肝癌 食道癌 胰腺癌 贲门癌 甲状腺癌 直肠癌 结肠癌 宫颈癌 卵巢癌 乳腺癌 肾癌 前列腺癌 子宫肌瘤

4:47 AM  
Blogger hangzhou7906 said...

好秘书 中国呼吸网 肿瘤网 中国皮肤网 工作总结 个人工作总结 半年工作总结 年终工作总结 单位工作总结 教师工作总结 教学工作总结 学校工作总结 德育工作总结 财务工作总结 医务工作总结 安全工作总结 乡镇工作总结 党员工作总结 团委工作总结 公司工作总结 实习工作总结 班主任工作总结 党支部工作总结 办公室工作总结 学生会工作总结 总结报告 工作报告 政府报告 述职报告 述廉报告 考察报告 自查报告 情况报告 调研报告 调查报告 申请报告 辞职报告 实习报告 验收报告 评估报告 汇报体会 工作汇报 思想汇报 汇报材料 情况通报 情况汇报 心得体会 学习心得 工作心得 培训心得 读后感 发言致辞 发言稿 开业开幕 领导讲话 动员讲话 庆典致辞 节日致词 新春致词 晚会致辞 追悼悼词 节目游戏 毕业致辞 思想宣传 组织人事 晚会主持词 会议主持词 婚礼主持词 常用书信 表扬信 感谢信 倡议书 责任书 承诺书 检讨书 申请书 保证书 决心书 悔过书 建议书 慰问信 邀请函 条据书信 礼仪文书 贺电贺词 社交礼仪 个人礼仪 商务礼仪 职场礼仪 涉外礼仪 饮食礼仪 节日礼仪 婚庆礼仪 鲜花礼仪 其他礼仪 交际礼仪 哮喘 支气管炎 气管炎 鼻炎 肺癌 呼吸机 氧气机

3:11 AM  
Blogger Brukewilliams said...

I have been a voice hearer since childhood, but it was not until my adolescence that I was hospitalized for hearing voices that were distressing. For many years I felt isolated and stigmatized for carrying a label of mental illness and for hearing voices that continued to be distressing for me. Psychiatric drugs did not make my voices "go away" although there were times when I was so drugged I didn't care about anything, including what the voices had to say. Therapists showed little interest in my voice hearing experiences. In fact, during the seventeen years that I was labeled and treated for schizophrenia, my therapists called my voice hearing experiences "auditory hallucinations".
----------
Brukewilliams
Consumer Generated Media Marketing

6:41 AM  
Blogger sexy said...

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,按摩棒,跳蛋,充氣娃娃,情境坊歡愉用品,情趣用品,情人節禮物,情惑用品性易購,A片,視訊聊天室,視訊,視訊聊天,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,聊天室,UT聊天室,免費視訊,視訊交友,免費視訊聊天室

免費A片,AV女優,美女視訊,情色交友,免費AV,色情網站,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人影片,成人網站,A片,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,情色網,日本A片,免費A片下載,性愛

A片,色情,成人,做愛,情色文學,A片下載,色情遊戲,色情影片,色情聊天室,情色電影,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊聊天室,一葉情貼圖片區,情色,情色視訊,免費成人影片,視訊交友,視訊聊天,視訊聊天室,言情小說,愛情小說,AIO,AV片,A漫,av dvd,聊天室,自拍,情色論壇,視訊美女,AV成人網,色情A片,SEX,成人圖片區

情趣用品,A片,免費A片,AV女優,美女視訊,情色交友,色情網站,免費AV,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人網站,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,成人影片,情色網


情趣用品,A片,免費A片,日本A片,A片下載,線上A片,成人電影,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,微風成人區,成人文章,成人影城,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,臺灣情色網,色情,情色電影,色情遊戲,嘟嘟情人色網,麗的色遊戲,情色論壇,色情網站,一葉情貼圖片區,做愛,性愛,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,美女交友,做愛影片

av,情趣用品,a片,成人電影,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人影城,愛情公寓,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,情色電影,aio,av女優,AV,免費A片,日本a片,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,聊天室,美女交友,成人光碟

情趣用品.A片,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,情色電影,色情遊戲,色情網站,聊天室,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,免費A片,日本a片,a片下載,線上a片,av女優,av,成人電影,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人影城,成人網站,自拍,尋夢園聊天室

1:46 AM  
Blogger Jhon said...

I found free career information on New York Colleges New York

Schools, Best Careers in New York (NY) for various Programs like
Medical Assisting Degree in New York (NY), College for Criminal

Justice Career, Pharmacy Technician Degree NY, Business & Accounting

Careers,Network Administration College Degree.So you can also visit .

6:03 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

Nice blog. I really like it. Please come and visit my blogs :
http://stackandtilt-golfswing.blogspot.com
http://recipesfor-diabetics.blogspot.com
http://quit-cigarettesmoking.blogspot.com

12:00 PM  
Blogger fbtry said...

In some cases, a guide or supernatural aid will direct the first part of the Hero's Journey. Such is the case in various Biblical passages where God, for example, instructs Noah to build an ark, or where angels reveal the path Christ must follow. The next step is a crossing of the threshold, the moment when the hero must leave the known world and venture into parts unknown.

In the Hero's Journey, one may encounter a threshold guardian, who tries to discourage the hero from the crossing. In Greek myths, travels to the underworld mean getting past Cerberus, the three-headed dog, and physically crossing the river Styx. The threshold crossing is symbolically interpreted as entering the unconscious psyche.

diabetic diets
murad skin care

11:18 PM  
Blogger 雪花 said...

福~
「朵
語‧,最一件事,就。好,你西.............................................................................................................
..................

7:32 AM  
Blogger Crossen said...

Yes good Information, not only that recently i found one college which is offers beyond-the- classroom experience to students in the rapidly-expanding industries of Health Care, Criminal Justice, Business, and Computers. Don't miss out on great career opportunities.

1:52 AM  
Blogger Anthony said...

Got good information in your blog and get more information for best insurance Agency which Provides exceptional service with personal and business insurance throughout North and Central New Jersey, since 1988. As an active member of the Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of America, we match our customers to the company that is best for our clients.

7:02 AM  
Blogger Anthony said...

Yes good Information, not only that recently I found onecollege which is offers beyond-the- classroom experience to students in the rapidly-expanding industries of Health Care, Criminal Justice, Business, and Computers. Don't miss out on great career opportunities.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Stefaninberlin said...

great posts
Linktext

5:06 AM  
Blogger real_tips said...

obama's health plan rock ..haha

cheers...

http://subprime-mortgage-lender.blogspot.com

http://geniusreality.com

2:33 PM  
Blogger Kerol said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Kerol said...

Make sure you drink only sealed, bottled things and that food you eat is cooked and steaming hot and you should be heal from the typhoid..
Wrinkle Reducer

11:29 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Are you certain about this?
A foolish man says he's certain

FREE gadgets

IRL

2:18 PM  
Blogger ader45 said...

you need a vacation sir to ease tension

Cheers,
how to get rid of bad breath

1:50 PM  
Blogger admin said...

Here's A Quick Way To Have Projector Lamp

11:16 PM  
Blogger ader45 said...

i'm so distress too :-(
i hate life..

tips malam pertama
malam pertama
malam pertama pengantin
kisah malam pertama
cerita malam pertama
pengalaman malam pertama
seks malam pertama
cerita lucu malam pertama
madu khaula
percocet 5 325
vicodin 5 500

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home