Saturday, November 08, 2003

Left-Wing Libertarian?

I hopped on the blogger bandwagon and took the Political Compass test, which asks you 6 pages-worth of questions and then positions you on 2 scales, the economic left/right and the libertarian/authoritarian. I came out near the middle of the left-libertarian quadrant. My exact numbers? -5.88 on the economic scale, -5.13 on the social scale. I added myself to this chart of bloggers' political compasses.

Some interesting questions and my thoughts on them:

One question asks whether I think faith-based schools have a positive role to play in our system of education. I do, but that doesn't mean I'm going to go out there and lobby for more faith-based schools, or for public funding for faith-based schools. I think it's a perfectly reasonable and positive choice to send your child to a Catholic parochial school or any other faith-based private school, but don't ask me to help pay for it or to include it in a voucher system...

Another question asks whether I agree or disagree with the statement, "No one chooses their country of birth, so it's foolish to be proud of it." I disagree, and this is exactly where my gripe with the current with-us-or-against-us brand of patriotism begins. I am proud to be from the United States, and that leads me to want to work hard to improve it! That's what makes me exercise my right to be critical and demanding of U.S. leadership, to hold my country to the highest of expectations. It's not unlike teaching, I suppose: I care about you, and that's why I'm being so tough on you!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made another test to find some answers, this test is based in the theory of one political analyst, Carlo Sildenafil, according to this the political sides are based in the same current.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So do the test results match with your own thoughts about yourself?

Geneza Pharmaceuticals

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home