Tuesday, August 10, 2004

My fridge overfloweth...

with vegetables. And, confession-time, although I am vegetarian and have been for years, I am a little timid about trying new vegetables. But today I joined my neighborhood's CSA, and came home with:
  • 3 (small) heads of lettuce
  • 1 bunch of kale
  • lots of pattypan squash (the flower-shaped ones)
  • several small cucumbers
  • two enormous, question-marked shape, hairy, spiky cucumbers (I am going to have nightmares about these)
  • 5 eggplant of two different varieties
  • a few bell peppers
  • some of the most beautiful tomatoes I have ever seen
  • 5 apples
  • a bunch of nectarines
  • lots and lots of already-too-ripe little yellow plums

All that for $18 a week ($10 if you don't get the fruit share). The bounty!

But seriously, folks, I need your help. The tomatoes and normal cucumbers and peppers are going into gazpacho this weekend, the eggplant is easy (I love eggplant), and I can figure out the squash and zucchini. I need recipes to introduce me - gently - to kale and giant cucumbers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home