Thursday, March 03, 2005

I get to make petri dishes... again.

Last night I stayed up late stirring beef bouillon, sugar, water, and gelatin, and pouring it into petri dishes. Gross. But this morning, after a night in the fridge, they were solid, though not particularly agar-like in appearance.

Today, none of the students who are doing bacteria experiments were ready to begin their experiments, despite my warning them that I would have the petri dishes ready. And then, sixth period, a box arrived from Carolina Biological Supply, with two class-sets of petri dishes and agar, so now I can make "real" petri dishes. Carolina is an awesome company, very responsive to teachers. I ordered the petri dishes on-line earlier this week. The expected delivery date was next Wednesday, but in the box where they ask for special shipping instructions, I explained that it would be really helpful if we could get them earlier - and here they are, almost a week early!

Otherwise, the day wasn't fabulous... a number of things came together to make me frustrated with the kids and with myself. They didn't do a very good job of teaching their invertebrates lessons, and many of the students slacked off on homework because it was assigned by fellow students rather than by me (although they knew it was getting collected and graded), and even though I gave them study sheets and articles containing extra information and even a whole period to study in-class, they did very poorly on the inverts test (at least based on the ones I've graded so far). Grades are due next week. I handed out an extra-credit assignment today, but I think very few kids will take advantage of it, since it is a lot of work - they have to watch either "A Bug's Life" or "Antz" and research one species of insect, and then write a five-paragraph essay analyzing whether the movie did a good job portraying that insect. I made it hard, because, quite frankly, I think they've been lazy about following directions, lazy about taking on challenges, and basically lazy about damn near everything in the last few weeks. Even walking from classroom to classroom, they practice the passive resistance of walking a s s l o w l y a s p o s s i b l e . . .

it's really getting on my nerves.

And I am concerned that this pervasive do-the-minimum attitude is going to mean that their science expo projects turn into a last-minute panic. I don't want that to happen because it means MY life will turn into a last-minute panic.

This teacher could use a few supportive words. Rough week.

18 Comments:

Blogger stony said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a online dating site/blog. It pretty much covers online dating related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

8:24 AM  
Blogger nope said...

Hi,

I'm sorry for being intrusive in to your blog. But I am Melissa and I am a mother of two that is just trying to get out of an incredible financial debt. See my hubby is away in Iraq trying to protect this great country that we live in, and I am at home with our two kids telling bill collectors please be patiant. When my husband returns from war we will beable to catch up on our payments. We have already had are 2001 Ford repossessed from the bank, and are now down to a 83 buick that is rusted from front to back and the heater don't work, and tire tax is due in November.

I'm not asking for your pitty because we got our ownselfs into this mess but we would love you and thank you in our prayers if you would just keep this link on your blog for others to view.

God Bless You.

Melissa K. W.
To see my family view this page. My Family

Learn How To Create Your Own Custom Income Generating System.

Welcome to AdWordEqualizer / Ad Word Equalizer Finds The Most Profitable Search Terms And Products For You!

Get Paid to Take Online Surveys!

2:38 AM  
Blogger Adult Personals said...

Jupiter Research predicts that online dating will top revenue of $640 million in 2008.

What are you doing about it?

Urdate.net has finally launched its partner program.
By becoming an Urdate.net partner you will receive your own customized dating site, with full ftp access. You’ll possess complete control of your site’s design and enjoy earnings of up to 70% commission, $35 per signup, $6.50 per email or $1 per click!

If you are an existing Urdate.net affiliate and are earning more than $100, then you can become an iwantu.com partner and receive the following at no additional charge:

- A free dating domain name of your choice
- Free unlimited hosting
- A complete and functional dating site – customized with your brand and your site name.
- Full ftp access to your site – you entirely control the design!
- Full customer and technical support for your members. You are only in charge of the design and the traffic.
- We take care of all the credit card processing and member billing.
- You earn up to 70% commission, $35 per signup, $6.50 per email or $1 per click. Signup for one or more of our programs that best fits your marketing strategy.
- Fully integrated affiliate program.

Examples of some partners:

dating services
dating services
dating services

And many others...


Easy one page registration: URdate.net

1:24 AM  
Blogger Johnjon said...

Wow, I really like this one. I have a website that talks mostly about paid online opinion survey You should check it out sometime.

5:22 PM  
Blogger hassan said...

Hi :)

You have a great blog! I'll make sure to bookmark it and visit regularly. Keep up the great work!

Please visit my site if you get some time: Resell Rights eBooks

12:03 AM  
Blogger Johnjon said...

Wow, I really like this one. I have a website that talks mostly about income make online You should check it out sometime.

8:50 AM  
Blogger De Post Man said...

Informative post. Take a look at my credit site ( http://mortgage.27days27gurus.com/ ) f you can. Thanks uk credit card

7:40 AM  
Blogger Gordon said...

Just visited your blog, it's great. I have a jobs seeking website which is informative and you can find info of different job natures, hope that it will be useful in your job seeking

11:05 AM  
Blogger Me!! said...

Find great deals on eBay with the misspelledauctions.com search engine

Misspelledauctions.com


Great site -

1:57 AM  
Blogger hassan said...

Hi :)

You have a great blog! Keep up the great work, and I'll be sure to visit regularly.

I have a Resell Rights eBooks related site, check it out if you get some time!

Look forward to reading more of your insightful posts :)

2:20 AM  
Blogger Google Page Rank 6 said...

Want more clicks to your Adsense Ads on your Blog?

Then you have to check out my blog. I have found a FREE and Legitimate way that will increase your earnings.

Come Check us out. How to Boost Your AdSense Revenue

6:57 AM  
Blogger Johnny said...

Hello, online dating is a new trend when internet becomes a part of our life, we provide web links to let you know more about dating free online. Please visit.

10:36 AM  
Blogger betterlovemaking said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. There is a lot of useful information about home based business canada in it. We offer Turnkey Websites and Reliable Hosting. We also provide a blogging service that will help your site get indexed fast and keep the search engines visiting your site. Click here for more information about home based business canada.
Thank you
TWP Admin

8:47 PM  
Blogger Johnny said...

Every online business need free traffic. This free traffic handbook is very update and helpful.

8:55 PM  
Blogger HiiFii Webservices said...

I wanted to show you some superb resourses on the net.
Learn to earn 90000$/Month
For which you may also see my Personal Website
Here.
and for a Personal Education Career Tools
free Study Database.
This site is for seeing the
Hifi Electronics.
And this is for
World Class Gadgets

6:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dating is not for me, I need love. Great blog, cannot contact the author, though :)

11:28 AM  
Anonymous News Electronics Lover said...

I just discovered electronics online. Nice site with rss feed, blog and it is updated daily. Focused on electronics online
Maybe it will be of use for you.

Pauline

9:52 AM  
Blogger Manikandan said...

Hi nice blog .I need to post resumes .can anybody send links of that sites.
Thank you.........

2:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home