Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Unfinished post from yesterday...

My feet hurt. I actually taught afterschool in my stocking feet because I just couldn't stand in those shoes - in any shoes, really - for one more minute. And my shoulders hurt, too, from commuting for an hour with 100 recycled-cardboard manila folders in my backpack. After observing and helping out in a sixth grade class, I decided both of the other science teachers were in desperate need of folders for the students to store their project materials.

A woman from the Fulbright office called me today to ask why I did not include a note of explanation with my application so that they would have known that I'm not really a PE teacher. It didn't really occur to me, I guess, although now that she mentions it, I suppose that would have been a good idea. It's just that I expected them to look at my application, see my M.Ed. and certification and five years of experience in Science Ed., see the 80% of my schedule that is currently teaching science, see that I'm the head of the school's science dept., and come to the conclusion that I'm a science teacher, first and foremost. I never expected 2 periods/week of PE and 4 periods/week of Health to be interpreted to mean that I'm a PE teacher, especially given that nowhere else on my application is there any experience or education in teaching PE! We talked more and she encouraged me to try to work out the exchange with my proposed partner from Finland, because she will definitely not get another offer, and I very likely will not get another offer. So, I am going to ask some questions about what teaching PE in a Finnish HS actually entails... more on that as events transpire. By the way, the website is Fulbright Teacher Exchange.

Tonight, I have to make homemade agar from gelatin and bouillon cubes, because about 8 groups of students want to do bacteria experiments for the Science Expo, and I thought we had another kit with petri dishes and agar, but I discovered the other day that we used all of them during our bacteria experiments in the fall. I have ordered more, but some students want to get started right away.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
You have a very good blog here. I enjoyed reading the posts here today. I'll definitely be back. Keep up the great work.
herbal remedies
www.alternativehealthreporter.com

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home