Friday, July 01, 2005

Shelving Meditation

I did my first shift at HousingWorks Used Bookstore/Cafe last night. HousingWorks is mostly volunteer-staffed, and benefits people living with HIV/AIDS by providing them with a range of services designed to fill their needs but also empower them to live a full life and be empowered about their healthcare, etc.

The bookstore/cafe is a large yet cozy space in a beautiful old building in SoHo. The first floor houses everything from rare books, to art, to film and music, to gardening, cooking, and crafts, to literary criticism, to mysteries and thrillers, to a collection of records and CDs. There's also the cafe counter and a lot of tables. Upstairs is a balcony stretching around the perimeter of the store, where history and social science, science, medicine, sports, humor, health, new age, and other books are shelved. They have a map of the store but I think I got a pretty good feel for it after just one shift.

I like learning the systems for things. For example, the books are tagged with two code numbers - one is the month and year they arrived at HousingWorks, the other is a shelving category. 567 is Science. 422 is Literary Criticism. I think they are Dewey or Library of Congress numbers or something. Some books pose a challenge to categorize. For example, where would you put books about people's mountain climbing expeditions? Sports? Wildlife/Environment? Travel? And what about a book about female mountain climbers and their expeditions? Women's Studies? And for some reason, they have a literary biography section, but no general biography section. The books within each category are shelved alphabetically by author. But in the Science section, I found a biography of Heidegger shelved under "H" - you can see why someone would take a look at it and then put it back in the H section rather than using the author's last name. Yet there aren't enough biographies to shelve them differently from the other books.

You are probably bored out of your mind by now, but I find these questions interesting. The way the bookstore is set up right now is good for aimless browsing. You choose a section that interests you, then see what you can find. Finding a book about astronomy, for example, you would have to go to Science and just skim the shelves. You would find plenty of books, but might miss the one most interesting to you because they are all mixed in with other books. This shelving system maximizes the chances that you pick up something completely unexpected, but it's not very good for targeted searches by subject area. If you know the author's name, you're golden.

So let's say we reorganized it so books were sorted by topic on a much finer scale, then by author's last name. This would result in all the mountain climbing books being together, all the astronomy books being together, and so on. But there are a whole lot of books that still would be very hard to place. This would probably make life more difficult for the volunteers who price the books and decide what category to put them in. It would help the customer looking for a specific topic - another volunteer told me that no matter how often she alphabetizes the Health section by author, when she goes back a week later, all the Alzheimer's books are together, Cancer, Depression, Diabetes, etc. I think it would decrease the number of chance discoveries - books that you would not have sought out but happen across in your browsing.

I spent about 3 1/2 hours going through the Science, Math, and Wildlife/Environment sections and "weeding" - taking out books that had been there for more than 6 months, taking out miscategorized or mis-shelved books, putting the others back in "ABC order" (as we used to say in 3rd grade). Was it fun? Not particularly. Was it not fun? No. It was mesmerizing. It was the kind of repetitive yet engaging task that requires that I stay almost completely in the present, focused on what I'm doing, yet relaxed. Hence, shelving meditation. This is the stuff that voluntary simplicity books are made of.

I love bookstores. I have about 50 new books that I want to read, and I was only there for one shift! And I have finished two whole books already just this week!

26 Comments:

Blogger cleric resources said...

Searching for cancer bracelet treatment and information I found this post. I totally agree with you and think it takes time!

2:03 PM  
Blogger bill naka said...

Your blog is excellent - keep it up! Don't miss visiting this site about blankson book samuel

6:08 AM  
Blogger Richpoo said...

You have a great blog here! I will be sure to book mark you. I have a mc sports site. It pretty much covers mc sports related stuff. Check it out if you get time :-)

1:09 AM  
Blogger Tom Naka said...

I've stumbled across your blog when I done some student health insurance coverage
research in Google. You're doing a pretty nice job
here, keep up the good work! check out student health insurance coverage

9:16 AM  
Blogger Zeppara said...

Have you ever seen Asparagus this BIG
They grow up to 15in long and 2in wide.
how to cook asparagus

4:35 PM  
Blogger jobs123 said...

Hey nice blog, really nice! I just want to let you know I have an travel reward
site - blog too!
It's a free information site with tips and secrets for saving big money on your next vacation!

It mostly deals with travel reward plus other stuff
You Can Save Up to 50% off your next vacation
You Should check it out if you get the chance :-)

2:28 PM  
Blogger pumice resources said...

I am glad I found this post. it helped me with something I was thinking about. Nice blog!

My wifes holiday crafts shop has similar issues...

Nice to meet you, have a great day!

11:53 AM  
Blogger nope said...

Hi,

I'm sorry for being intrusive in to your blog. But I am Melissa and I am a mother of two that is just trying to get out of an incredible financial debt. See my hubby is away in Iraq trying to protect this great country that we live in, and I am at home with our two kids telling bill collectors please be patiant. When my husband returns from war we will beable to catch up on our payments. We have already had are 2001 Ford repossessed from the bank, and are now down to a 83 buick that is rusted from front to back and the heater don't work, and tire tax is due in November.

I'm not asking for your pitty because we got our ownselfs into this mess but we would love you and thank you in our prayers if you would just keep this link on your blog for others to view.

God Bless You.

Melissa K. W.
To see my family view this page. My Family


Windows registry scanner - scans your Windows registry for errors and suggests solutions.

Paid surveys - Work at home, Get Paid For Your Opinion, paid surveys and online focus groups.

Combine AdWords and ClickBank for Huge Online Profits Words Great With Blogs

7:32 AM  
Blogger Couch Potato said...

Help me Dude, I'm lost.

I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw Elvis in the supermarket yesterday.

No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender".

He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a shiny, new plasmatv to go with that blue suede sofa of yours.

But Elvis said I, In the Ghetto nobody has a plasma tv .

Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger then I'm gonna go home and ask Michael Jackson to come round and watch that waaaay cool surfing scene in Apocalypse Now on my new plasma tv .

And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . .

"You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on "

Strange day or what? :-)

11:35 AM  
Blogger blaze said...

I really enjoyed you cooking measurement website. I also have a site about cooking measurement Please take a look. I hope you will find it interesting

10:25 PM  
Blogger amacdrummer said...

If you need cancer tongue info... Go to this cancer tongue site : cancer tongue

6:46 AM  
Blogger Link Popularity said...

Link Popularity Builder Rulles, Link Popularity

7:37 AM  
Blogger Josh said...

Anyone looking for some more better business info?

10:42 PM  
Blogger Work From Home Center said...

Hi thanks for your blog, I liked it! I also have a blog/site about home based business opportunity uk
that covers home based business opportunity uk
related stuff. Please feel free to visit.

4:49 PM  
Blogger chakajo said...

I really enjoy your blogs. They are great!!!

4:53 PM  
Blogger Basket said...

Bon jour. Le temps amer que je vois.

Chercher le temps et quelques comment terrien ici.

Blog agréable.

Je devrai revenir plus tard.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Hunt and Fish said...

Great post, I enjoyed reading it.

Adding you to favorites, Ill have to come back and read it again later.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Baller said...

Free Online Greeting Card Maker

4:37 AM  
Blogger windmill2u said...

I think your blog aboutlake tahoe vacation rental is the bomb!! Feel free to check mine out!!lake tahoe vacation rental it's also about lake tahoe vacation rental

8:58 PM  
Blogger Johnny said...

Hello, just visited your blog, it's informative. I have a adwords google select related website, which informs you about useful ebooks about how to use Google Adwords in a more skilful way

1:57 PM  
Blogger . said...

I just came across your blog, and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a home owner insurance blog, so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!

2:50 PM  
Blogger Google Page Rank 6 said...

Want more clicks to your Adsense Ads on your Blog?

Then you have to check out my blog. I have found a FREE and Legitimate way that will increase your earnings.

Come Check us out. How to Boost Your AdSense Revenue

9:20 PM  
Blogger td163 said...

Hey, I go to see you blog everyday and you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a travel and transportation site/blog. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time mate :-)

12:23 AM  
Blogger wlbcpa said...

cruise travel by bus and save on the high cost of fuel. Pick a one day trip, pack a bag and go. cruise travel

7:14 AM  
Anonymous Samuel Blankson Books said...

How is this a blog about Samuel Blankson?

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, cool blog you got here. I've been blogging and noticed your blog, good job. Keep up the blogging!

regards,
florida group health in insurance small

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home