Monday, August 15, 2005

Finding a Roommate

I am mired in the process of finding a roommate for September 1st, when my friend S. will be leaving (she got a job at South Street Seaport and will be working and living on boats for the next year!).

I posted my apartment on Craigslist and got 75 responses in 24 hours. Of those, I am meeting about 15 people in 4 days. It's like running auditions. I have the power - these people need apartments - but it's so artificial. We take the 1 minute tour of my apartment, then chit-chat about habits, pet peeves, financial matters, interests, etc. I'm lucky - I already have several very reasonable possible roommates - but I'm not sure how to make the final decision. I guess this is one for Malcolm Gladwell's "blink" ideas...

Adding irony or contrast is the fact the we have NOT ONE applicant for a science teacher position that opened up rather suddenly at my school. And we need to fill the position ASAP.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seeking counsel from elders seems to be a lost advantage. Experience usually translated into lessons learned that may contain pearls of wisdom that could have benefited the lost or struggling. Having survived my share of crises, I am using technology to share a thought or two. The main lesson is to never stop learning. Reading and seeking other points of view like visiting your blog is one way. Finding what is ultimately important leads one to appreciate actuality, efficiency and mindfulness. Helping others to see some of the forest through the trees is a benefit of age and maturity. discernment

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home