Sunday, September 18, 2005

It took allllll day....

but I made my second iMovie. It's about 5 minutes long. I wanted to make a movie about the Mayor's Cup, which is the annual schooner race around the harbor. Unfortunately, it isn't easy to film from shore. I spent a couple of hours in the Battery Park area and filmed the Parade of Sail that preceded the race proper, and then my DV camera battery ran out (despite being fully charged last night!). I was going to go home, charge it, eat lunch, and then either go to Red Hook to see if I could get footage from there, or go back to the harbor to watch the end, but I got distracted and ran out of steam. Instead, I spent about 8 hours editing. Task commitment is not one of my problems, except when I'm trying to grade things. Whatever. It's called "Parade of Sail," and I decided to name my production "company" shaking hands productions, which should give you a sense of the quality.... I rested the camera on solid surfaces whenever possible during filming, but I still lost an awful lot to the jitters. My original vision was to interview sailors and people watching, but I couldn't get an accurate picture of who would be where, when, so I never got to talk to anyone aboard the boats, and no one on shore except me was aware that the race was happening. I downloaded a couple of sea chanties from iMovie and used a third song that I already had on my computer, and set the whole thing to music. It's a little lacking in the plot or narrative department, but mercifully it's only 5 minutes long, so I think it is bearable. I'm complaining a lot, but it was a labor of love, and I'm very proud of the outcome, and excited to do more and better later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home