Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Bits & Pieces, aka the Dangerous Allure of the Internet... and one interesting coincidence

The Polite Umbrella: I really need one of these. I have been told that I am a hazard to others when carrying an umbrella. Also, I never quite manage to hold my umbrella in the optimal position to keep myself dry.

*****

My Science Box: My freshman RA has become a middle school science teacher. She and I ran into each other at the Exploratorium Teacher Institute two summers ago. But I knew all that already. Irene has a neat new website where she is sharing her "science boxes" - basically, kits for a unit of study - starting with the ones she made at the Exploratorium and including new ones she's created since then.

*****

Music blogs............ a new world to me, these are just two that I've found...... what are your favorites?

*****

Blog Awards:

The Best of Blogs Awards: Nominate your favorite blogs in many categories, including Education & Homeschooling. I think the deadline is 1/3/06.

eSchool News Education Blog Awards: Nominations open until midnight on January 6th.

*****

And now for the coincidence you've been waiting for....

I read Joanne Jacobs' book, Our School, while I was at home. It turns out that one of the teachers at DCP worked at the same school I did during my first year of teaching. We weren't on the same grade level and taught no students in common, and it was a big school, and I was laying very low that year, so I didn't know her well, but she was very committed, funny, patient, interesting. I knew that she moved to California, and I guess I knew it was to work at a charter school, but I had no idea what happened to her after that....

Maybe more on the book later. I have things to do besides surfing the web. I swear.

2 Comments:

Blogger ms. v. said...

I've been having trouble accessing it, as well, but I'm pretty sure the link is right... maybe his server is down?

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's always tough to guesstimate musical taste, but here are three music blogs I can't live without:

Fluxblog: http://www.fluxblog.org/.
Extremely hip and indie-oriented, but for the best in new music, I swear by it.

Music (For Robots): http://music.for-robots.com/.
Eclectic and experimental, but they've introduced me to a lot of my current favorite bands.

Said the Gramophone: http://saidthegramophone.com/
All over the map. For example, there's a song on there now by Paul Newman from Cool Hand Luke and two Curtis Mayfield tracks.

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home