Friday, May 05, 2006

I'm going!

I'm going! I'm going, I'm going, I'm going! I'm going to be teaching middle school science in a private school just outside of Istanbul next year. I don't want to link to the school yet, but it's a huge, prestigious, progressive-sounding K-12 school. The kids leave school bilingual in Turkish and English and competent in a third language, so in middle school, the language of instruction for science is English. I got an email from my exchange partner this week - she's talking to the kids and other faculty members about me - so she's going to accept the exchange! And she coaches Lego Robotics! And helps run the science fair! My local instructional superintendent signed my forms today (after expressing serious concerns - he thinks my principal is crazy for letting me go without ever having spoken to my replacement). I'm sending my acceptance letter this weekend. And her school has many teachers from abroad, so I think they'll agree to it. We still have to sort out visas and medical records and all that, but it's going to happen!

The next three months are terrifying - not the part about going to Turkey, for some reason that isn't scaring me at all (yet) - but everything else. How many of YOU know pretty much what you're doing every week between now and September? Yeah. But the ten thousand things that scare me can wait for another post.

I'm going!

18 Comments:

Blogger Ms. M said...

Oh my god. That is so exciting. I want to come visit!

5:57 PM  
Blogger Waterfall said...

WOW. That's wonderful, and so exciting!!

6:07 PM  
Blogger posthipchick said...

woo-hoo!
they are lucky to get you.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Scott Elliott said...

Congrats! I spend a week in Istanbul last year. It is an incredible place and the Turks are wonderful people. You'll love it there.

The history in that city is amazing. In one museum, we saw the sword of King David, the arm (mummified in gold) of St. John the Baptist and the beard and sandals of Mohammed!

The mosques are incredible. Some are 1,500 years old. I had to laugh one day as we passed a spectacular mosque and I asked our Turkish colleague about it. "Oh, we call that the new mosque," he said. "It's only about 400 years old."

Here in Ohio, ANYTHING that was 400 years old would be the star historical attraction!

It's also a beautiful place. And the food is great. Gosh, I'd love to go back some day. Enjoy!

Scott

7:07 PM  
Blogger Aunt Murry said...

Congratulations!

8:02 PM  
Blogger yomister said...

Really great news! Congratulations!

8:59 PM  
Blogger Ms. George said...

Congratulations! What an incredible experience you will be having. I can't wait to be reading all about it!

9:36 PM  
Blogger EHT said...

I'm very excited for you. You are going to have to blog through your experiences so those of us who have never left the South (honestly) or whatever other region we live in can live vicariously through you.

9:56 PM  
Blogger Mike in Texas said...

Uh, have you looked into the political situation there? Or the women's right issues?

10:35 PM  
Blogger MamaLlama said...

Wonderful news! Now get busy filling out all those forms!
Michele
(STILL waiting on Fulbright Board Okay).

7:17 AM  
Blogger jonathan said...

Congratulations,

All the crazy preparation will be well worth it.

Around the beaten path, but missed by too many: Yerebatan (Basilica Cistern) Here's a link with lovely photos from some sort of travel blog: The London Years

Off the beaten path and almost criminal to miss: Anadolu Kavagi (really the fortress above it)

And closer to the date, depending on where you are, I might be able to give you the names of some friends.

btw, I can't figure out how to sign in with my wordpress blog

1:03 PM  
Blogger Not Quite Grown Up... said...

That's wonderful to hear! Congratulations!

2:49 PM  
Blogger graycie said...

Hooray for you! I do hope you'll keep blogging so we can all share (however vicariously) in your adventures.

5:21 PM  
Blogger no_slappz said...

Hopefully you will continue to post comments from Istanbul.

Your observations on the school, the students, the administration of the "prestigious private school" and the parents of those students will interest many.

Comparisons and contrasts of your Istanbul school with your NYC school and the DOE will also interest your readers.

Have no doubt this great adventure will affect the rest of your life.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Lady Strathconn said...

How exciting! A friend of mine did this exchange last year, she taught science in India for part of a year. She took her kids and had a phenomenal time.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

Congratulations! Milk this experience for everything it's worth. Opportunities like this don't pop up all the time so enjoy!!

3:57 PM  
Blogger X said...

Congratulations! I have a phenomenal Turkish colleague here at Titanic who can hook you up with connections over there if need be.

9:25 AM  
Blogger East Coast Teacher said...

Congratulations!

It promises to be a wonderful experience all around - good luck!

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home