Monday, September 06, 2004

Labor Day

The US Open has become a bit of a tradition in my family over the last few years, and it's really fun, even though I don't follow tennis most of the rest of the year. Yesterday, we saw a few doubles matches, including mixed doubles with Sharapova and Mirnyi playing the Blacks, and Navratilova and Paes playing Callens and Damm.

While we were watching another match on one of the side courts, I overheard a boy tell his mother, "Look, Mom, Navratilova is playing on the next court! She's the 47 year old girl!" I hope that I am as cool as Martina Navratilova when I'm her age. Not a tennis star, of course, and not in as good shape, but what I'm talking about is having a lot of fun doing what I love professionally. You could see that she was relaxed and thoroughly enjoying the match in a way that none of the younger players were during their matches. I don't know how many of them, when pressed, would be able to say they love playing the game of tennis. I hope they do, but I wonder. You can see that Navratilova loves it. And she gets a lot of love from the crowd: "You can do it, Martina! We love you, Martina!" She stopped to sign autographs for kids on her way off the court after the match. And it's not about fashion, it's not about a controversial new outfit or having the best body; she's in tremendous shape, she wears what makes her comfortable, it's about the game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home