Saturday, October 02, 2004

Interview: Alan Berger, founder of the Brooklyn Free School

Way back in August, I posted about a documentary that I saw about the Albany Free School. At that screening, I found out about the Brooklyn Free School, a new school opening this fall in Brooklyn. I arranged to interview the founder, Alan Berger, by email. He is on leave from the NYC Department of Education. Here (at long last) is the text of our interview. Thanks for corresponding with me, Alan!

Can you tell me a little about how you became interested in free schools?
I read an article in the NY Times about Sudbury Valley 3 years ago.

What has been the response of your colleagues in the public school system to this new project?
Most have been fairly supportive. I don't generally associate with those that would be diametrically opposed to something like this.

Will your own children attend BFS?
I have a 13 yr-old son who wants to attend, but his mom does not want him to, and he also would like to finish up at the middle school he's currently at because he wants to spend his last year (before everyone gets split up for HS) with the friends he's been going to school with for the last 8 years or more. My partner has a daughter who is 8 and wants to go, but her dad is not in favor. We're still working on him.

What was your own educational experience like, as a child?
Traditional, although I grew up in a fairly progressive town on LI, Great Neck, attended Ethical Culture "Sunday School" and a sleepaway summer camp in MA for seven summers that was a big influence on my education. The summer camp model, at least the one I experienced, is closer to my ideas of what education should be like.

What is your vision for a typical day at BFS? Will there be any structure to the day? Will any kinds of activities bediscouraged/banned - for example, video games, tv, etc.? How will teachers handle misbehavior, arguing, bullying, etc.? Will there be any age divisions?
A morning all-hands meeting (not mandatory) to talk about planned or desired activities, workshops, classes, trips, etc. suggested by any student, staff member or parent, followed by a period in the morning for group activities, lunch, and an afternoon group activities period. Once a week a democratic school meeting will be held to make the decisions necessary to run the school. School meetings can also be called by any member of the school on short notice on any day to resolve a conflict or bring up an important issue. The only banned activities will be those that are determined to be detrimental to the safety and health of the students and staff. The current conflict resolution process is as follows: students will first attempt to work out conflicts on their own; then can ask a staff member or other student to help them resolve it, and finally, if these steps fail, bring it to a school meeting. There will be no set age divisions. We will have a separate space set aside for the youngest children (4-7).

Can you tell me more about the structure of the democratic decision-making processes you are planning to implement? Will it besimilar to the Council Meetings held at the Albany Free School?
Yes.

How will you introduce/teach this process to incoming students?
We have already started to do this through holding student/staff meetings at our regular general meetings and at the last few meetings we've held at the school site. We will probably supplement this experience with some handouts and videos of meetings from other schools. We may role play some meetings for the youngest children.

What kinds of families have been attracted to the BFS so far?
Families that are interested in an education that is more flexible and individually based. We started with a diverse group of parents from the Park Slope Food Coop and branched out from there. Our ethnic and socio-economic mix is very diverse. Our current population is roughly 50% people of color and all income levels are represented. About 1/3 of our families have home schooled their children at one point or other. Others have experienced Montessori and Waldorf, or some other private school, and the rest have been to public schools. We have families now from all five boroughs.

How do you envision schools like the Brooklyn Free School fitting into society as a whole? Should they be an experiment for just a few students? One option among many? A model of how all schooling should be?
One option among many. We hope that what we are doing will have an effect on traditional education, moving it in a more truly democratic and child-centered way.

One person I spoke to at the Bluestockings event (film about theAlbany Free School) said that he and his wife provide a lot of academic education to their daughter at home, since she is not getting it at the Albany Free School. He was comfortable with this. Some children will come to your school from homes where they get lots of stimulation, lots of academic support, perhaps even supplemental teaching. Others will not, and often this correlates with socioeconomic status. If you succeed in enrolling a group of students from diverse socioeconomic backgrounds, how will you ensure that all the kids leave your school with the knowledge and skills they need tosucceed in college or the working world?
We don't profess to know what each individual person will need to "succeed" in college or the working world. Our primary goal is the social and emotional growth of each child and for each child to develop within themselves their own responsibility for and love of learning (it doesn't matter what it is that they want to learn about and we reject the paradigm that society has set up for any set curriculum of knowledge and skills). Students who have graduated from democratic schools typically have the self confidence and have learned how to learn and be their own best teacher, so that they are ready to meet any challenge that stands in their way to fulfill their own individual dreams and aspirations.

We don't equate the amount of stimulation at home, academic support, or supplemental teaching with being a happy and successful person. Nor is the goal to be striving for a higher level of socioeconomic status. The goal is to be with others in a cooperative and not competitive learning community where children and adults are free to live and learn as they wish without impinging on others' right to do the same. The goal is to give everyone the time and space and freedom to become self-actualized.

Will kids who can't get as much supplemental academics at home be "left behind," so to speak?
No.

I read your description of what you consider "success" in the FAQs. Do you plan to collect any kind of qualitative/quantitative data onyour students' experiences during their time in your school or after leaving?
Yes.

Who are your teachers? What is drawing them to teach at BFS? What kind of planning processes, professional development, etc. will teachers have amongst themselves?
They have sought us out and are interested in working in a democratic learning community. They are not traditional teachers, but are interested in the different ways that people learn and interact. One has taught at a rock and roll camp for girls, plays the drums, and loves to teach literature, another is has traveled with a math and science circus and teaches Capoeria, another is a cheese afficionado, tennis pro, and will be teaching comedy!

We plan to visit other democratic schools in the area (there are three), read and discuss some of the literature, view videos together, and have many discussions with the parents and students.

45 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Hi, I was just out blog surfing for detailed info on building self esteem when I ended up on your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I did. If you wouldn't mind, I would like to post your link on my "favorites" page. Should you ever need it, there is valuable information on my site about building self esteem.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Dream Builder said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
What a Great Blog! I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a work at home stuff envelope
site. It pretty much covers work at home stuff envelope
related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

12:15 AM  
Blogger TS said...

Nice Blog!!!   I thought I'd tell you about a site that will let give you places where
you can make extra cash! I made over $800 last month. Not bad for not doing much. Just put in your
zip code and up will pop up a list of places that are available. I live in a small area and found quite
a few. MAKE MONEY NOW

5:41 AM  
Blogger jon said...

After we paid for our kids new jersey summer day camp we found it tough to recover! I totally agree with you!

3:31 PM  
Blogger Leonard Payne said...

Hi there. I really enjoyed your home school home schooling item on your Blog. You may be interested to know of our own publication which includes home school home schooling.
Hope you enjoy.

6:55 PM  
Blogger Leonard Payne said...

What a very interesting entry on alabama home schooling. You may also like to know that our publication at www.SuccessfulHomeSchooling.net is also a great resource on alabama home schooling and associated areas Enj oy

8:07 PM  
Blogger Riz said...

Get information about work from home parents

5:15 PM  
Blogger Rich said...

Nice blog! Visit my web site and the Big Tennis Directory where you'll find tennis tips and hundreds of items dedicated to the tennis enthusiast.

10:44 PM  
Blogger Tom Naka said...

Just thought i would say hi from Japan. Doing some blog surfing and found your site. Im looking for some cool styles of dental health information
for my own blog. Theres some really amazing blogs about. if you have time check out my site you will find information on dental health information
. Well when i get my blog running hope you come and check it out.

1:59 AM  
Blogger 122272 said...

I skim a lot of blogs, and so far yours is in the Top 3 of my list of favorites. I'm going to dive in and try my hand at it, so wish me luck.

It'll be in a totally different area than yours (mine is about penis enlargement reviews) I know, it sounds strange, but it's like anything, once you learn more about it, it's pretty cool. It's mostly about penis enlargement reviews related articles and subjects.

2:24 AM  
Blogger lokokid said...

Hi i am totally blown away with the blogs people have created its so much fun to read alot of good info and you have also one of the best blogs !! Have some time check my link to !!Make money opportunity

4:25 AM  
Blogger Mango said...

If you are interested in home schooling , please leave a comment.

12:23 PM  
Blogger 444555 said...

Visit me if you want to know about online home based business

5:53 PM  
Blogger luckpoo said...

I have a make money with a home business site. It pretty much covers make money with a home business related stuff. Check it out if you get time :-)

9:50 AM  
Blogger Swingin80 said...

Cool blog you have. I have a work at home company related site. Check it out if you get a chance. The URL is work at home company

5:18 AM  
Blogger riskfreemoney said...

I found you while surfing for ways to make money blogs. I like it, good content. Consider this an invitation for you to visit me for a FREE ways to make money web portal.

Online success,

Hilda Johnson-Slaton
Risk-Free Money Auto Income Generator
www.riskfreemoney.biz

6:48 PM  
Blogger infinitemonies said...

I wish I would've thought of this blog. It is by far one of the most interesting blogs on here. I have a site that pretty much coversmake money working online related stuff. Check it out if you get a chance

11:46 PM  
Blogger Riz said...

Interesting blog. Come visit mine. It's on home schooling

6:49 PM  
Blogger David said...

Hi, a real useful blog. Don't stop now. I was just out blog surfing for detailed info on ##KEYWORD## when I ended up on your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I did. As I am here you may want to bookmark this link as there's lots of information on this site about ##KEYWORD##

8:05 AM  
Blogger David said...

Hi, a real useful blog. I was just out blog surfing for detailed info on build self confidence when I ended up on your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but as I am here you may want to bookmark this link as there's lots of information on this site about build self confidence.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Johnjon said...

Whoa, I came stumbled on a blog pretty similar to yours earlier today. I also have one that pretty much talks about work from home employment related stuff. You should check it out sometime.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Johnjon said...

Yo, This blog is pretty neat. You should check out mine sometime. It pretty much covers make money online and work at home related stuff.

4:00 AM  
Blogger nope said...

Hi,

I'm sorry for being intrusive in to your blog. But I am Melissa and I am a mother of two that is just trying to get out of an incredible financial debt. See my hubby is away in Iraq trying to protect this great country that we live in, and I am at home with our two kids telling bill collectors please be patiant. When my husband returns from war we will beable to catch up on our payments. We have already had are 2001 Ford repossessed from the bank, and are now down to a 83 buick that is rusted from front to back and the heater don't work, and tire tax is due in November.

I'm not asking for your pitty because we got our ownselfs into this mess but we would love you and thank you in our prayers if you would just keep this link on your blog for others to view.

God Bless You.

Melissa K. W.
To see my family view this page. My Family


Learn How To Create Your Own Custom Income Generating System.

Welcome to AdWordEqualizer / Ad Word Equalizer Finds The Most Profitable Search Terms And Products For You!

Get Paid to Take Online Surveys!

9:24 AM  
Blogger honeylove said...

You have a awesome blog!

I've got a natural penis enlargement site. It's about natural penis enlargement related info.

Come see when you can..

1:51 PM  
Blogger Johnjon said...

Yo, This blog is pretty neat. You should check out mine sometime. It pretty much covers make money quick related stuff.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Askinstoo said...

Nice Blog!!!   I thought I'd tell you about a site that will let give you places where
you can make extra cash! I made over $800 last month. Not bad for not doing much. Just put in your
zip code and up will pop up a list of places that are available. I live in a small area and found quite
a few. MAKE MONEY NOW

7:55 AM  
Blogger Adult Personals said...

I was searching adult adult adult dating.info erotic erotic erotic online personals and came across here! nice site

What you think of mine
adult adult adult dating.info erotic erotic erotic online personals

2:04 PM  
Blogger Couch Potato said...

Help me Dude, I'm lost.

I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw Elvis in the supermarket yesterday.

No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender".

He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a shiny, new plasmatv to go with that blue suede sofa of yours.

But Elvis said I, In the Ghetto nobody has a plasma tv .

Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger then I'm gonna go home and ask Michael Jackson to come round and watch that waaaay cool surfing scene in Apocalypse Now on my new plasma tv .

And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . .

"You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on "

Strange day or what? :-)

4:05 PM  
Blogger Johnjon said...

Wow, I really like this one. I have a website that talks mostly about extra internet make money You should check it out sometime.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Johnjon said...

Wow, I really like this one. I have a website that talks mostly about work from home company You should check it out sometime.

7:08 AM  
Blogger Depression said...

Hey, nice blog and great info!
I have a new interesting article
site. Perfect for those interested in showing their writing skills or looking for anything related to interesting article

Come and check it out if you get time I would really appreciate it :-)

2:26 PM  
Blogger Adult Personals said...

Hey i got here searching for make money online with affiliate program
Your sites not too bad!

You got good rankings for them keywords make money online with affiliate program

Check out my site
make money online with affiliate program

10:25 PM  
Blogger hexadecimals resources said...

I was reading your blog and thought i would mention this free blog hosting site.

Free blog hosting using wordpress. The top blogging tols online and many free templates to choose from. Free hosting. Get your free online blog now!

GET FREE BLOG NOW

6:18 PM  
Blogger Dominicans resources said...

FREE Wordpress Hosted Blogs With 10 Customised Templates To Choose From at Blogsilla.com

yahoo people search

Free unlimited number of blogs

1:25 AM  
Blogger haidi said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a **Make Big Money**blog. It pretty much covers Make Big Money articles related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

3:59 PM  
Blogger Frank said...

I really enjoyed all the great information on your blog.
It really is about time I started my own. I will be linking
it from my website about make money on the internet Would love to know what you think.

10:00 PM  
Blogger George said...

Well, here's a refreshing new idea for you, forms and it won't cost you an arm and a leg. forms

11:42 PM  
Blogger vsearch-94D159 said...

Hey Blogger, I couldn't agree with your post (Interview: Alan Berger, founder of the Brooklyn Free School) more. child free home school

1:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there! enjoyed your post. free screensaver

1:59 PM  
Blogger Rigel said...

What a great site!
Michelle

penis pill

11:43 PM  
Blogger Marian said...

Hi, thanks for this very informative blog. I'm a fan of making my residual income from home. I'm thankful for every information that would increase my sales...Thanks again! home based business

3:33 PM  
Anonymous home income said...

You gave me an interesting idea. Thx.

Steve @
http://www.lifeincome.org

1:51 PM  
Blogger satxxkenn said...

Cool blog - Check out my site if you need help finding a good low interest credit card. Credit Cards

11:17 AM  
Blogger sexy said...

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,按摩棒,跳蛋,充氣娃娃,情境坊歡愉用品,情趣用品,情人節禮物,情惑用品性易購,A片,視訊聊天室,視訊,視訊聊天,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,聊天室,UT聊天室,免費視訊,視訊交友,免費視訊聊天室

免費A片,AV女優,美女視訊,情色交友,免費AV,色情網站,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人影片,成人網站,A片,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,情色網,日本A片,免費A片下載,性愛

A片,色情,成人,做愛,情色文學,A片下載,色情遊戲,色情影片,色情聊天室,情色電影,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊聊天室,一葉情貼圖片區,情色,情色視訊,免費成人影片,視訊交友,視訊聊天,視訊聊天室,言情小說,愛情小說,AIO,AV片,A漫,av dvd,聊天室,自拍,情色論壇,視訊美女,AV成人網,色情A片,SEX,成人圖片區

情趣用品,A片,免費A片,AV女優,美女視訊,情色交友,色情網站,免費AV,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人網站,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,成人影片,情色網


情趣用品,A片,免費A片,日本A片,A片下載,線上A片,成人電影,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,微風成人區,成人文章,成人影城,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,臺灣情色網,色情,情色電影,色情遊戲,嘟嘟情人色網,麗的色遊戲,情色論壇,色情網站,一葉情貼圖片區,做愛,性愛,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,美女交友,做愛影片

av,情趣用品,a片,成人電影,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人影城,愛情公寓,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,情色電影,aio,av女優,AV,免費A片,日本a片,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,聊天室,美女交友,成人光碟

情趣用品.A片,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,情色電影,色情遊戲,色情網站,聊天室,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,免費A片,日本a片,a片下載,線上a片,av女優,av,成人電影,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人影城,成人網站,自拍,尋夢園聊天室

1:21 AM  
Blogger will said...

A片,A片,成人網站,成人漫畫,色情,情色網,情色,AV,AV女優,成人影城,成人,色情A片,日本AV,免費成人影片,成人影片,SEX,免費A片,A片下載,免費A片下載,做愛,情色A片,色情影片,H漫,A漫,18成人

a片,色情影片,情色電影,a片,色情,情色網,情色,av,av女優,成人影城,成人,色情a片,日本av,免費成人影片,成人影片,情色a片,sex,免費a片,a片下載,免費a片下載

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣

A片,A片,A片下載,做愛,成人電影,.18成人,日本A片,情色小說,情色電影,成人影城,自拍,情色論壇,成人論壇,情色貼圖,情色,免費A片,成人,成人網站,成人圖片,AV女優,成人光碟,色情,色情影片,免費A片下載,SEX,AV,色情網站,本土自拍,性愛,成人影片,情色文學,成人文章,成人圖片區,成人貼圖

情色,AV女優,UT聊天室,聊天室,A片,視訊聊天室

一夜情聊天室,一夜情,情色聊天室,情色,美女交友,交友,AIO交友愛情館,AIO,成人交友,愛情公寓,做愛影片,做愛,性愛,微風成人區,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人影片,成人,成人貼圖,18成人,成人圖片區,成人圖片,成人影城,成人小說,成人文章,成人網站,成人論壇,情色貼圖,色情貼圖,色情A片,A片,色情小說,情色小說,情色文學,寄情築園小遊戲, 情色A片,色情影片,AV女優,AV,A漫,免費A片,A片下載

2:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home