Saturday, February 11, 2006

Oh sh!t.

I was done posting. I was about to go back to work. And then the doorbell rang and the police officer told me that there was a burglary in an upstairs apartment sometime in the last 24 hours. Someone came in through the fire escape, opened a window with a knife, and robbed the apartment.

This comes after a month in which I have heard about at least three devastating apartment fires that happened to people I don't know, but am within three degrees of separation of, and the apartment immediately opposite mine had to be broken into by the fire department because the guy left rice on the stove.

I am really creeped out. The police officer just told me to lock all the windows, but in the same breath how easily these locks slip open with a knife. I couldn't think fast enough to process the fact that he called me "hon," and the fact of the burglary, and the advice he was giving, and simultaneously think of useful questions to ask.

6 Comments:

Blogger davidj said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:16 PM  
Blogger davidj said...

Ms Frizzle, my husband and I spent years in New York and were in your same spot several times. But just remember that you have a greater role: mentor, over the internet, of many teachers. Your links connect teachers, experienced and inexperienced, country and city. You provide invaluable mentoring, and no one can ever take that away from you. I know---I am one of your links! "Teachertalk", Erica Jacobs.

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While you can't help that your neighbors are irresponsible, you may want to look into installing window gates in the on the interior of the window with the fire escape. They have them that can be opened from the inside so you can get out in case of a fire.

My windows have these special tabs on the side only allowing it to open a few inches unless I push the tabs in. You can put in nails in the meantime.

Your tenants can also get together and invite someone from the local precint to do a walkthrough and come up with suggestions. Hopefully some of those changes can be made by the landlord.

6:13 PM  
Blogger posthipchick said...

Is the East Village becoming seedy again?!?!

But in all seriousness, that it totally frightening. Is your roommate home?

11:01 PM  
Blogger CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Our home was broken into and burglarized in broad daylight a couple of months ago. It was a tramautic experience. Not until a week after the incident did we discover how the intruder gained entry: He had forced open the sliding door leading from our kitchen to the patio.

Because all of our downstairs windows are sliders, we installed dowel rods as wedges. The only way to gain entry to the house now is by breaking a window.

Can you wedge your windows shut? Dowel rods are inexpensive burglary insurance.

8:08 AM  
Blogger East Coast Teacher said...

Damn. That is really creepy.

I'm going to be moving to Boston - from the suburbs - this summer, and I'm already worried about finding a 'safe' neighborhood to live in.

I agree that you should see if a policeman can do a walkthrough, and definitely talk to your landlord about any safety changes that can be made.

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home