Saturday, June 04, 2005

Mad Hot Ballroom

I took myself to see "Mad Hot Ballroom" tonight. It made me laugh, and, I have to admit, even get a little teary-eyed. There weren't too many people at the theater, and I think many of them were teachers, but everyone applauded at the end. If you liked Spellbound, you'll like this movie. If you want a little peek into the world I work in, check it out. I am going to urge my principal to see the movie, and I'm going to see if I can get the dance program to come to our school - it might be just the thing we need to help with character issues.

It also gave me a taste of what it feels like to finally see yourself represented accurately on-screen, if you are a member of a population that is not typically in the movies or on TV. There are lots of movies about kids, lots of movies about underdogs winning in the end, lots of movies about teaching. And although they are valuable and may have universal themes, I don't see the kids I teach represented realistically and positively all that often. Watching this movie, I felt like I was seeing MY KIDS, even though I teach at a different school, in a different borough. And that's why their success could move me, make me cry, make me applaud.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home