Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Wednesday!

Sometimes I just don't know what to title a post.

The sixth graders are nearly finished typing their lab reports. They will need revision, so I'm going to have them print them out in black & white, then I will make comments and give them one period sometime next week to make revisions. It's on to measurement after that, which I meant to integrate with the pendulums lab, but somehow got off-track during the first week. Anyway, I have a long post to write about the real-life difficulties of tiered assignments, but it will have to wait another day or two.

Meanwhile, after a somewhat disastrous start yesterday, the seventh graders finished their minerals lab today, and will start typing their lab reports tomorrow.

One my students from last year came in after school today to say hi and because she needs 25 hours of community service and wants to help us in our afterschool program. She's a great kid, and I think I can get her to help me with HS Prep and possibly robotics (yet another post to come!). She's going to a Catholic HS, and it sounds really overwhelming. We have a reputation for being strict, but I think we are also loving, even if sometimes the kids can't see that. She says the Catholic school is even more strict, and she hasn't felt the same sense of caring from her teachers. She's making friends, but it sounds like a really difficult adjustment for her. On the bright side, she reports that she is one of the best-prepared kids in her classes. She did so well in a math class that the teacher asked for and wrote down the name of our school - which means we are going to start building a reputation among the high schools for sending them good kids. Yippee!

That's all. Believe it or not, I occasionally do some work. Oh, and don't forget to take a look at the Education Wonks' Carnival of Education. It's a heck of a lot of work to put together, and they do a great job, week in, week out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home